Tuesday 23 December 2008

The Ultimate Christmas Pudding and Mince Pie Accessory


Every year for as long as I can remember my Mum has made Brandy and Orange Butter to have with Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies at Christmas lunch. Now, this might not sound particularly exciting or unusual but let me tell you… it is.


I am sure that all families have their traditions and then the accompanying comments that go with them. My Grandma is responsible for the butter comment. Every year she says something to the effect of “Oh, you can’t beat homemade. There is nothing as good as this. Shop bought and the stuff in restaurants just aren’t the same”. Now, to paint the picture: my East London Grandma, a little bit tipsy, having the tiniest slither of Christmas Pudding just so she can justify the half a bowl of Brandy Butter.


Anyway, this year the making of the Brandy and Orange Butter was entrusted to me. I was a little but scared when I found this out, but really, it is so easy. I made mine in the food processor and it took no time at all, especially as I could just add the icing sugar as it was beating.


Brandy and Orange Butter


125g Unsalted Butter

125g Icing Sugar (Sifted)

1 tbsp Brandy

1 orange


Find a largish bowl and beat the butter until soft.


Mix in the sifted icing sugar a little at a time until blended and smooth.


Pour in the brandy and finely grated zest of half the orange. Mix together one last time making sure that the bits of orange are spread evenly though the butter.


Spoon into a serving bowl and zest the other half of the orange, sprinkling the long curls on top.


Sarah

0 comments: