Thursday 4 December 2008

Dutch Pepernoten


A day at work at the Cookshop is an extremely educational experience. I had a visit from my friend Maarten earlier in the week, who gave me the idea of posting a recipe for Dutch Pepernoten Cookies.


Before I go any further I should explain that he is Dutch and works in the Little Holland pancake house in Bognor Regis (yum! – definitely worth the visit if you’re in the area). Anyway, he was shopping for Sinterklass presents. I didn’t know of this traditional Dutch festival and learnt that Sinterklass is the way they celebrate Saint Nicholas in Holland, and is a bit like Father Christmas but without the stocking and is held in the beginning of December. So, whilst in the UK we don’t get to have our Father Christmas presents until Christmas Day, we can make some Pepernoten and join the Dutch in Sinterklass.


Makes 50 pepernoten


Ingredients


50 g butter (1 3/4 oz)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon milk

1 cup self raising flour

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger


Cream the butter and sugar, then add spice mix (or spices).


Add the flour and milk and make very very small marble sized balls.


Bake for 10-15 minutes at 160 C (320 F) until golden.


You might like to use a Silverwood Baking Sheet for this recipe.


Sarah

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

nice recipy, I haven't tried it yet as I got a few bags from Holland when I last went there, but I'm sure it tastes great!

Maarten

ps. Oh, it's Sinterklaas by the way, but that's a minor detail ;)