Wednesday 25 February 2009

Day 3 of Cupcake Week – Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Cookies and Cream is a flavour proving to be very popular amongst my friends at the moment. I haven’t tried to make them yet but I am going to give this recipe from The Appropriated Muffin a go.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes – Makes 16

Cookies and Cream Cupcake Mix

1 Stick (1/2C) unsalted butter, softened
1C granulated sugar
2tsp Vanilla extract
2-1/4C Flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1C Heavy (Whipping) Cream*
1C Crushed Oreos

Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting
adapted from 500 Cupcakes
3C powdered sugar
2 sticks (1C) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of Salt
Crushed Oreos

I made a quarter-recipe: (Could have made half-recipe)
3/4C powdered sugar
1/2Stick (4tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Oreos (not crumbled yet)

* Notes: I used heavy whipping cream since I had it in the fridge. I don't know if it makes a big difference if I just used whole milk as the other recipe calls for. But this time, the cake cakes came out better. Can't say why though since there are so many changes I made. Also, I added in a bit more heavy cream than the recipe states- just added a bit more for a nice smooth batter.

Cake Mix

Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C / Gas Mark 4 and line 16 muffin cases.

Cream butter and sugar until pale pale yellow. Add vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add eggs. Beat well. (Batter will be thick.)
Add heavy cream. Use more if want to thin out batter even more.
Add crushed Oreos. I used the electric mixer and beat them in... this made the batter darker colored since I destroyed most of the chocolate cookies. You can fold them into batter if you prefer. I did a combo of mixer and hand. I didn't measure out how many Oreos I added either. I like Oreos, so I added a lot.
Pour 3/4 cup full and bake for 20 mins.

Frosting
Cream sugar and butter VERY well, until white. Add vanilla extract. Add pinch of salt.
Scrape off Oreo centers from cookies and mix into the frosting. Then crush/crumble cookies and fold in. I liked to keep the frosting white.

Sarah


0 comments: