Monday 16 March 2009

Jambalaya


It has been a while since my last post and I am sorry for neglecting my blogging duties. To make up for it I am posting a lovely comforting Jambalaya recipe as an antidote for the cupcake binge.


In my absence from the blog I have eaten some yummy food, cooked with some new equipment and had some exciting adventures, so hopefully I will have lots to share with you.


Recently I went to a restaurant and ordered a Jambalaya. It might seem an odd choice to order, but I love jambalaya. However, as much as I love it I somehow have a mental block against cooking it. For some reason it always seems to take a long time or seems a bit faffy, which is why I eat it when I don’t have to cook it.


But wait. This morning I undertook a quest to find an easy and quick Jambalaya recipe (as I am in the need for comfort food but don’t have much time when I get home) and succeeded in finding this one on the BBC Good Food website. I am not too sure how authentic it is, but it sounds yummy and above all, it doesn’t take hours.

Chicken and Shrimp Smokey Jambalaya – BBC GoodFood

Ingredients
1 red chilli

1 tbls of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
Sprig of chopped parsley
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1tsp of paprika
1 red pepper
1 large onion
2/4 sticks of celery
2 chicken breasts
1 can of chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp of tomato puree
3oz of Chorizo or smoked sausage cut into thin slices
1 cup of Long grain rice
12 shrimp or prawns
1/2 to 1 pint of chicken stock

Method
Dice chilli and prepare the veg and the chicken, slice the sausage into tin slices


Heat oil up in a large none stick pot & add chilli & cook for 1 min

Add the chicken & stir fir in pot for 2 mins

Add the stock & tin of tomatoes and puree
and bring to the boil

Add smoked sausage bay leaf, parsley, garlic, cayenne pepper, and paprika (adjust this 2 your liking) then add the veg & cook for 5 mins


When its boiling add the long grained rice and cook until most of the liquid has reduced & the rice is cooked then add the shrimp cook for 3 mins and serve

Tip: Adjust the liquid with stock or water until the rice is cooked and reduced.


Enjoy!

Sarah


P.S. I think this Nigella Flameware pot is ideal for jambalaya. The shape just exudes comfort and I love the idea of cooking in a ceramic casserole.



2 comments:

Montura Crap said...

Nice article.
Keep the good work.

Montura Crap

nachamjaey said...

Titanium Ingredient (Titanium) - Titanium Arts
Titanium is a solid, solid titanium nitride coating service near me alloy. It is extremely titanium trim hair cutter reviews hot, has medium heat which makes columbia titanium jacket it ideal for both beginners titanium rod in femur complications and seasoned wet wetters. titanium lug nuts