Friday 31 October 2008

A Ducking Good Day at River Cottage


Blessed with true British weather, my day at the River Cottage Duck Fair really was perfect weather for our webbed-feet friends. The rain didn’t dampen the mood though and a great day was to be had. As a fan of River Cottage and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall ‘excited’ does not sum up my emotions on arrival at the farm, and the skidding run to the gates through the mud turned me from town-dweller to country-kin in one swift glide.

I won’t bore you with how Hugh F-W made my lunch and then asked my opinions on the flavour combinations etc, or how I was on the prime-time Channel 4 broadcast of River Cottage Autumn. But I do want to share with you my beetroot conversion.

As featured in the TV programme, there was a beetroot tent at the fair containing all things purple, aiming to convert people like myself from beetroot haters to beetroot lovers. I am always one to try something out, and through my journey of beetroot salsa, beetroot brownies and beetroot ice-cream I actually found myself enjoying the whole experience. I actually liked the purple vegetable so much I went home and made beetroot brownies.

I am now a full convert and can’t get enough of the staining colour. So much so that I am going to post the brownie recipe in a couple of days in hope that you will make it too and enjoy the moist, deep purple, yummy, gooey cake as much as me.

Sarah

0 comments: